Summer is almost here, and with hot weather comes rising electric bills and other costly household expenses. There are ways to prepare your home and get it ready for the hot months ahead. None of these money saving tips are particularly costly, but each of them can contribute to turning your home into a more comfortable place to escape the blazing summer sun.
- Replace your air filters in your air conditioner and vents. Accumulated dust, dirt and other allergens can all cause your system to work less efficiently.
- Clean out debris from your outside air conditioning unit and water heating unit.
- Inspect and make repairs to any leaking ducts. In many cases, your homeowner’s insurance policy will cover this type of repair.
- If you do not have one already, get a programmable thermostat and set it to 78 degrees Fahrenheit when you are at home and higher when you are away.
- Check for sources of phantom power as this will tend to drive up electrical costs. Disconnect electronics, appliances and tools when they are not in use. Leaving these plugged in will continue to cause a drain in power.
- Clean your ceiling fans and window fans, then make sure they are operational. Using a fan to circulate air can significantly cut down costs during the summer months in Heath and throughout Ohio.
- Check windows and doors for leaks. Make necessary adjustments so that hot air does not seep in and cooler air stays inside.
- Turn your water heater down to the warm setting. There is no reason to heat up your water as much over the summer months as the water will have time to warm up on its own while sitting in the tank and pipes.
- Set a schedule so that you only run your dishwasher, washing machine and other key appliances during off peak hours and when you have a full load. Use cold water settings. Let the sun dry your laundry if possible, which not only saves money, but makes your items smell fresh and clean.
Having the right insurance policy can also prevent you from having to incur costly repair expenses during the hottest time of the year. One of the final steps you should take to prepare your home for hot weather is to review your homeowner’s insurance policy, renter’s insurance policy, health insurance policy and any other personal insurance policy to ensure that you are covered in the event of a breakdown, accident, injury or natural disaster. Heat-related injuries and deaths increase substantially during the hot summer months.
A local Heath personal insurance agent from The William E. Mills Insurance Agency will be more than happy to review your existing personal insurance policy or present you with options you can afford. As each of our agents are local to the Heath community, we are able to offer a level of service and convenience not regularly found in the insurance industry. Appointments can be scheduled at a time most convenient to you.
We hope that you will never find reason to use your personal insurance, but it is important to plan for the unexpected. Having inadequate or no personal insurance coverage can lead to paying thousands out-of-pocket. Our agents are committed to doing everything we can to help you obtain the highest level of coverage at the lowest possible price. Contact The William E. Mills Insurance Agency and schedule an appointment to discuss your needs with a local Heath personal insurance agent. If you do not live locally, our local agency also serves homeowners, renters and other individuals throughout the state of Ohio.